Key dates from 1863 to 1966

Pictorial History from 1845 to 1996

Church history and guide, 1990s

Vicars 1867 to 2016

Curates 1882 to 2022


History of St. John’s, taken from the November 2016 parish magazine.

David Blant’s notes on the history of St. Johns: Part 1    Part 2    Part 3

1864 to 1899

Proposal for a new church in Horninglow

Laying the Foundation Stone, article from the Burton Chronicle, 1864

Consecration of St. John’s Church, Burton Chronicle 1866

Undated newspaper cutting of the early days of the church.

Plan of the pews showing free and appropriated seats. 1867

Horninglow Village in 1866

1900 to 1949

Parishioner’s Tea and Social / New Parish Room, 1910

Report from the Burton Observer of the opening of the Parish Room, 1910

St. John’s football team, 1911.

Feast of the Dedication booklet, to celebrate the 49th anniversary. 1915

50th Anniversary Booklet giving a brief history of the church, 1916.

A Christmas card sent by Victor Honniball, curate, in 1916.

Holy Week leaflet, 1917.

Rogation Service and Procession leaflet, 1917

Newspaper cutting of the death of John Martin, curate, 1918.

Ministry of Health approval for a new burial ground, 1923.

Church Magazine, November 1930.

Church Magazine, May 1943.

Broadcast Service, 1946.

Joan Key photographs. Joan key is the daughter of Prebendary Alan Barker, who was vicar of St. John’s from 1941 to 1952.

1950 to 1969

90th Anniversary leaflet, 1956.

Newspaper cutting - David Stevens to be the new vicar, 1957

Church Inspection - First Quinquennial Report, 1959.

Stewardship Campaign 1960, including appeal for funds for a new hall.

Stewardship letter, probably 1960.

Burton Mail cutting - report on the Church Annual Meeting, 1961

Annotated photograph of the congregation in 1965.

W. H. Auden’s visit for the centenary celebrations.

Centenary Booklet 1966.

St. John’s Choir at the institution or Fr. Cresswell, 1967.

Photographs of church events kindly supplied by Graham Barge

Lesley Jones photographs.

1970 to 1999

Videos taken by Bill Barge 1968 to 1977

Photographs of Youth Sporting teams, choir and special church events by Philip Farren. 1970s onwards.

Photographs of St. John’s during its 125th year - 1990 & 1991

125th Anniversary service booklet, 1991

Newspaper cutting about the replacement of the church bells, 1997.

2000 onwards

Parish magazine, October 2016.

150th Anniversary Order of Service booklet, October 2016.

150th Anniversary photographs.

150th Anniversary Article from the November 2016 magazine

Parish Magazine, November 2016.

Pictures from the closing celebration of the 150th Anniversary, October 2017

St. John’s was consecrated on 24 October 1866 and in 2016 celebrated its 150th anniversary of the founding of this church. These materials are being made available as part of the 150th Anniversary celebrations.


150th Anniversary Church Archives:

Tram outside St John's.jpgSt John's interior.jpg

Guild of St. Raphael trip to Belper

Guild of St Raphael trip to Belper.pdf

Some materials are pdf files and will open in a new window.

If you need a pdf reader, click here.

The Men’s Outing Choir 1983

Fr Spinney, servers and choir.pdf

Fr Montague Spinney, Servers and choir

150th Anniversary Pictures