St John the Divine is the Church of England parish church situated in the suburb of Horninglow, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire. It is part of the Diocese of Lichfield.
John Lonsdale, Lord Bishop of Lichfield, consecrated this attractive Victorian church, which was originally dedicated to St John the Evangelist, later St John the Divine, on 24th October 1866. The architect was Mr Edwin Holmes, of Birmingham. The church has a chancel with a vestry to the north side, a nave of five bays, north and south aisles, and an attached tower. It is built of brick faced externally with cream Coxbench stone and rendered internally with plaster and dressings of Bath stone.
Click here for a printable version of our Visitor’s Guide (pdf)
Gallery of church photographs
Parish Records are kept at the Staffordshire Records Office.
A catalogue of these records is available in “Gateway to the Past” – the online catalogue of the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service. Documents held include:
- Baptisms 1866 to 1943
- Marriages 1867 to 2000
- Burials 1866 to 1953
For more information on burials, see our Graveyard pages