Website © S. John the Divine PCC and S. J. Oakes 2013
Since the foundation of St. John the Divine in 1866, burials have been carried out in our extensive chuchyard until very recently.
Full burial records are held at the Staffordshire Records Office. Online catalogues to show what is available are to be found at Gateway to the Past but materials must be viewed at the Records Office.
We do have some materials that have been transcribed by hand by members of the church. Note that some original records are very indistinct and cannot be read with accuracy.
Prior to 1954 there are records of who is buried in the churchyard but there were no records kept that provide locations of graves.
From 1954 to 1987 records of burials contain some location information but the areas marked do not correspond to modern location codes.
Graveyard Headstone Database
We can only identify where people are buried if there is a headstone. If there is no headstone it is not possible to locate any burial place.
For the burials that have a legible headstone, we have lists of names, dates and locations of the burials that enables you to find any grave that we have listed.
The procedure is:
Graveyard plan for the Headstone Database file.